The XVIth century
The oldest view of Semur dates from 1575 that is dated and was ordered by the mayor, Philibert Espiard. Preserved at the city library, this view allows us to appreciate the urban shape of the city before the important fire which occurred in 1593 and destroyed 270 houses in different neighbourhoods. Established in Semur during the Religion wars, the Parliament created a way to control and stamp the money. The city was also equipped with a building where royal justice could be dispensed, and this was named Logis du Roy.
The XVIIIth century
Referring to the intellectual elite present in Semur, it has been qualified as “Petite Athènes de la Bourgogne” (Little Athens of Burgundy). Indeed, during the XVIIIth century, Semur kept its role as capital of the Auxois. The family du Châtelet, of whom different members were governors or important bailiffs in the Auxois, possessed in Semur a private mansion in the neighbourhood of the castle. Sold to the city in 1734, the building was transformed into a hospital in reply to local needs. However, part of the building kept, through the furniture and the organization, the memory of this important family alive. It was also a century of important urban works, such as the Joly Bridge, named because of Monsieur Joly from Saint-Florent. He was the tax collector at the Burgundy Parliament, and who gave the money to finance the works. The streets called Paris, Pont Joly and Voltaire were created or enlarged to link with the bridge works. Finally, as reflection of the enthusiasm and wishes to adapt the urban areas, different walks were created.